Google Apps Tips: Calendar Tasks
Working with Tasks in Google Calendar
Have you tried Google Tasks in Google Mail? If so, you probably already know how beneficial they can be in helping you organize your day. Did you know that Google Tasks are also available in Google Calendar? And, you can use them for more than just work related task. You can even use them to help your get ready for that much needed vacation!
Enabling Tasks in Google Calendar
Enabling tasks is really simple. They’re already incorporated into Google Calendar, it just takes a few click to make them visible.
- Click Tasks located in the ‘My Calendars’ section.
- Tasks will display to the right of your calendar.
- Click Tasks again, or click the small arrow, to minimize the section.
Creating and Modifying Tasks
There are several different ways to create tasks in Google Calendar:
- Determine the day on which the task should begin and click in the area below the date.
- Click Task on the pop-up window.
- Give the task a name and include any notes you wish to add.
- Optionally, you can create new tasks by clicking the + sign in the task area. However, the task won’t display on the calendar unless you modify it and add a date.
To modify the task date or add additional information:
- Click the > to the right of the task name.
- Enter the appropriate date, additional information or move the task to a different list.
- Click Back to list when finished.
Note: Tasks created in Google Calendar are also visible in Google Mail.
Reordering and moving tasks
After creating tasks, you may want to move them or reorder the list. Use the ‘Actions’ menu to reorder your tasks:
- Click Actions to display the Actions menu.
- Select Sort by due date. Note that you can also move individual tasks up or down and indent them using the shortcut keys.
- Your tasks are sorted by the date they are due.
- Placing your cursor to the left of the check box turns your cursor into a hand. Clicking on the blue-dotted border enables you to drag the task up or down in the list.
Renaming task lists
You can create multiple task lists. The default name for your first list contains your username. To rename it:
- Click the area to the right of the trash can.
- Select Rename list. Note you can also create or delete list from this menu as well.
- Enter a new name for the list and click OK.
- Your list is renamed.
After completing a task:
- Click the task’s checkbox in the calendar, or…
- Click the task’s checkbox in the list. Clicking one checkbox marks the other as complete as well.