Google Apps Tips: Creating a Team Calendar
Create a Team Calendar
If you’ve used Google Calendar, you are probably aware that you have your own calendar for work-related events. But did you know that you can create additional calendars to schedule and track other events? For instance, you can create a family calendar to schedule your kids’ soccer games or swim lessons. You can also create a calendar specifically for your team or department at work. Having a team calendar is a great way to track:
- who’s on vacation, or going on vacation, and for how long
- who’s out of the office on a business trip and when they’ll return
- who’s taking a class and where
With all this information tracked in one calendar, it’s then easy to:
- plan team meetings
- determine dates for team outings
- schedule who can handle projects
Let’s get started!
Create your new calendar
There are several ways to create a new calendar, both of which take you to the ‘Create New Calendar’ screen.
- Click Add under ‘My calendars’ (the shortest route! )
- Click Settings, then Calendar settings, then Calendars, and finally Create new calendar. (the longer, sight-seeing route! )
Define your calendar
On the ‘Create New Calendar’ screen, provide the following information:
- Calendar Name: Provide a descriptive name for your calendar as this is what you and others will see in the My calendars section of the main calendar.
- Description: A description is optional, but provides the team with some basic information about the calendar when they view the calendar on the Calendar Settings screen.
- Location: Location is also optional and is really only necessary if your calendar is made public.
- Calendar Time Zone: Select the country and time zone for your calendar.
Share your new calendar
Now it’s time to define who to share the calendar with:
- Share this calendar with others enables you to either share the calendar publicly or share just it within your organization. After making a selection, you can then select what viewers are allowed to see when they view the calendar. The options available are defined by your Google Apps administrator.
- Share with specific people enables you to define a select group of individuals to view, modify or manage the calendar.
For our team calendar, we want everyone within our organization to be able to view the calendar but only a select group to be able to edit or add new events.
To add your team:
- Enter their email address in the Person field (see image below).
- Define their permission settings:
- Make changes AND manage sharing: select this option if you want the individual to add or modify event, but also to manage the calendar. With ‘manage’ permissions, the individual can, for instance, add new members to the calendar or add the calendar to a Google Site page.
- Make changes to events: select this option if you want the individual to be able to add and modify events on the calendar.
- See all event details: select this option if you only want the individual to view the events, but not modify or add events.
- See only free/busy (hide details): select this option if you only want the individual to view events as ‘Busy’.
(Note, you may discover that as you enter an individual’s email address, their email address auto-completes. After selecting it, it may then appear in a list below. If this is the case, define their permission option at this point and omit step 3.)
Note: If your forget to add an individual or need add a new team member in the future, return to this section and add add them to the list following the steps above. If you need to remove an individual, simply return to this section and click the trash can icon to the right of their listing.
Use the calendar
After creating the calendar, it should now be visible in the ‘My calendars’ section of your main calendar. If it doesn’t display immediately, you may need to refresh your browser window.
Now when you create a new event, you have the option of creating it on your personal calendar or on your new team calendar.
It’s easy to display events on one or more calendars. Let’s say you create the event above on your own calendar. You can quickly copy it to the team calendar without having to re-create it.
- Open the event’s details screen.
- From the ‘More Actions…’ drop-down menu, select the calendar you wish to copy the event to.
- Click Save.
- Now when you view your calendar, you will see the event listed twice – once on your personal calendar and also on the team calendar.
And remember, if you want to hide the team calendar on your personal calendar, simply click its name in the ‘My calendars’ section. To view it again, simply click the name a second time.