Data is a critical component for all businesses to aid smooth day-to-day operations and assist management in decision-making. Indeed, data leads to insights; business owners and managers can turn this vital knowledge into decisions and recommendations that improve the business.
Business reporting is a fundamental tool in decision-making, but how can you ensure the data and methods you’re using to make those vital judgements are efficient and effective?
Here the team at CTS discuss how G Suite, and specifically Google Sheets, can make a real difference to your business in three key steps.
Collate good data
Before you start the data gathering process, complete a data cleansing exercise as this can save you a great deal of time in the long run. Clean, up-to-date and accurate data is crucial to ensure a clear and true picture of your organisation.
Take into account all the different data sources from across your organisation. Often data is held in a number of formats which can make data collation time consuming. However, Google Sheets has built-in mechanisms to help import data from across your business and third-party packages.
Google Sheets’ user interface is intuitive and can help improve the speed and efficiency of the process:
- Generate a master database in Google Sheets by synchronising data from one spreadsheet to another or import data from tools like BigQuery.
- Easily transfer multiple data files to third party sources, such as Salesforce, by exporting data from Google Sheets using add-ons, for example, data connector for Salesforce.
- Remove duplicate data with the automatic function to delete rows with repeat data or extract additional spaces.
- Organise and categorise your spreadsheet by adding checkboxes and drop-down arrows. Plus, Google Sheets can quickly split raw data into columns or rows and the VLOOKUP function can be used to combine two data sets together.
Analyse your data
The next step is to analyse your data to identify key trends and business insights. Ascertain the ideal data that can help answer your most pressing questions and deliver on your strategic objectives.
By analysing your data in-depth, you can use the results to recognise patterns in key business areas such as productivity, market trends and customer buying behaviour.
Google Sheets can help you do this quickly:
- Choose from over 400 formulas to calculate your numbers.
- Create pivot tables to understand your data.
- Select from over a dozen chart types to create a visual representation.
Don’t forget to also collaborate with your team to combine your findings, gain a variety of perspectives and produce a holistic view.
Communicate your findings
Clear communication is the key to success in any business, so it’s important to share findings and recommendations across the organisation. Setting clear expectations and communicating your organisation’s future plans and direction encourages employee engagement. Plus, a clear and well-defined strategy can help improve team morale as co-workers feel more connected to the business and receptive to new ideas.
G Suite applications are specifically designed to encourage sharing and collaboration:
- Speed up document creation by co-editing spreadsheets with your co-workers.
- Identify clear actions by commenting and assigning tasks.
- Easily track data changes using Version History.
At CTS we believe data empowers you to make the right business decisions to succeed. Our team of experts can help you effectively manage your data to gain the business insights you need to achieve better, faster decision-making and transformational growth. For more information, speak to our team today on 0161 871 0330.